Monday, March 29, 2010

My World Tuesday Adventures with ELK pt2

The  second day,  at the Bay Ocean House in Tillamook, Oregon had started out very wonderfully for us, with our Equines last week. The gorgeous morning had us Hand grazing in our pajamas!

The sunrises on the bay are heavenly...this time, very misty, with a bite of frost ~
( to see any photo larger in detail, simply CLICK the image)

 Eagles had been calling out and flying above us, and we noticed a nest in the craggy tree they favored. This eagle had a pesky bird daunting it.

 The day ahead of us held some horseback riding on the beach and later, working in the yard to prepare for a  rental  party of 10 people with Equines.This wonderful Rental Property has many takers for the enjoyment that is to be had...but sometimes we must travel down ahead of them (oh darn) and make sure the Temporary horse fences are set up properly. Last year a group knowingly disobeyed the owners wishes, and put it up in the yard, next to the house. There will always be someone, it seems, that feels they deserve something different than what is offered, and just Takes it!

So we set off for the Bay Ocean Spit parking lot to ride our horses...they seemed well this day, after a harrowing event for them the night before with ELK (click left  sentence to visit post of that).
Romeo seemed a little pensive to enter the dune trail to the beach..but he did go forth!

I shot no pictures during the dune trail ride... just in case of another dashing event!
Wa was very buddy sour this day..and I was forced to stay rather close, instead of our usual jaunting off here and there. 

When I tried to go ahead or somewhere else, she totally acted out.. the near 70 degree day-though windy on the ocean front here, I think caused her to be in High season as well.

I decided to get her attention a much safer way, by dismounting and doing groundwork up the beach.
We did side passes and change of direction moves... Some circles with me asking for bend...which she really took offence to! I  do think her mind was mush after the day before's events and the season thing...this attitude on the beach- was a first for us. Some fear can go along way.
We finally made it to the Jetti of the spit and bay to get off the beach and out of the wind!

Calm Romeo before he lost his mind.....

 Romeo Now, decided to Jig and be high energy man...Oh what a day!
We were hearing the Coast Guard Chopper overhead and we thought, " Hope no one capsized in the ocean at the Jetti".... just our luck they'd fly closely around the corner and spook the we prayed for whatever outcome would avail us, and others, safe.

My mare spotted the chopper , I could barely see it at the tippy most of the lowest branch- at right-here~

Heading home now..with the rising tide, starting to fill up the bay on the right~

Little did we know...what lay in store for us as we returned home again!!!!

We rounded the last corner before the driveway...and many cars were there!!
And one was directly in the driveway entrance, blocking us .
They were apparently seized by the sight of something -IN THE BAY!

To the naked looked like a large log or overturned brown boat....

I put the camera on top of the Telescope and this is what I saw...

There were many Cows and many males too....and this little guy...An albino calf!

So the story goes....they entered the bay through a slew near the top, close to the some of the Tillamook dairy cows fields. It is the opposite direction from the Ocean. They have done this thing, walking on the sand bars at LOW tide, several times before.  Always they exit somewhere down by the spit..where we just came from.
Yet..this day...being  warm and sunny, The cars of Gawkers were a plenty...seemingly blocking them from an exit route! The tide was rising  fast, and they had calves.

But, they seemed to be going ahead with the trek...farther and farther from view they got~
Till...wait...they turned around and headed back our way!

I don't know why, maybe the rising tide was too much for the calves, maybe the route was blocked?
They stood for HOURS- right out in the middle-on a sand bar, till the tide began to lower~

I was helping my friend make the Temp stalls in between monitoring the elk...I would come back and they would be moving, but always not too far, as the tide was definitely in!

Some 4 hours had passed and the tide was now receding..I felt terrible for them having stood in the water for so long! Now they had about an hour and a half, before sunset and dark falling on the bay~

The Little Albino had come out to the edge for us to see!

It must have felt very good, getting some warmer sun on the body...but they tarried sooo long before moving again!

Finally, at 6:30pm they started again, toward the Bay spit and Ocean~

I watched them, happily thinking they were finally going to get out of the water to safety, there were plenty of limping stragglers now~ 
While they were strung out like this..I counted 30 Elk!

I thought that this would be my last shot of them..the light was fading and they were almost beyond my view!

OH!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes! They had gotten spooked again..and turned around- with only just time to get themselves out before dark!

So this is where I really had a difficult time...they came all the way back up to where we had seen them  at 1pm in the afternoon. But, this time, they were much  closer to the bay than before. 
There was NO-WAY they could make the 6-7 mile bay swim now!
I had a good cry and pleading prayer to the Lord for He cares for all His creatures...even if they had listened to an old cow and went into the bay, forgetting the tide table!

I had no idea that the mornings sunrise all beautiful & calm, would not be that way now for my heart.

I came in the house, after it had gotten darker and lamented.
 I decided to TXT all my friends to pray for these creatures that had gotten themselves into a weirdo predicament. It was now about 9pm.
At 10 pm, I had gone outside to the furthest tip of the deck, to try to receive any TXT's back..the reception is better there.
I started to get some!! People where praying and.....and....I heard noise!
I heard Geese really chattering , at the top of the bay. AND then...I heard splashing sounds!
I called my girlfriend out from her resting position on the couch, and then we saw them! Shadows in the dark light...Elk bodies, coming out of the bay to the hillside of Timberlands, behind her house!
They made it!
From noon till 10 at night..those Elk had been traversing the Tillamook Bay!
Bet they slept all of the next day and ate grass right where they lay~

 Next morning, we finished the fencing project...we enjoyed the sunshine, allowing the horses to graze~

Everywhere we looked, colorful spring was blooming~

PLEASE do visit others today, by clicking the hand held world!


  1. What an incredible story, beautifully told! So glad they found their way, never, ever giving up.

  2. These pics are amazing!!! I am oh so inspired by your rides! Makes me want to get Gracie out and just Ride.

  3. amazing story! well told garnished by wonderful images!

  4. I'm so glad there was a happy ending for all concerned. I was intrigued by your post and went back to read the original elk encounter. You had quite the adventurous couple of days!

  5. Wow, what a great post. I'm so glad that the Elk made it. I love all the shots and the Elk ones were great but I think my favorite is the first one with you hand grazing in your PJs.

  6. What a fabulous job you did with these photos! Quite an experience!

  7. My heart was racing!!! My hubby and i were just amazed at these beautiful creatures. Fab job on the pics and keeping us on the edge of our seats!
    They are beautiful :) Thank you!

    xo, misha

  8. What a terrific post! I love the Oregon coast to begin with, I love horses, the shots of the elk are wonderful, glad they made it! Great adventure! And I love the hand grazing in your pjs!! A great read! Have a wonderful week!


  9. Ridden in fresh water. The lake is 45 minutes if you walk real slow the whole way but we gallop so it takes more like 20 or 30. What fun, the elk.

  10. wow what an experience to go through watching those Elk. I was on the edge of my seat as I was reading wondering if they made it to safety....glas they did. fab photos and what great riding. Love the spring flowers. The leaves are just starting to turn here

  11. Thank goodness the elk were OK... Amazing pictures and story!

  12. what beautiful pictures. I have always wanted to take up horse riding. Perhaps this will be my year to do that.

  13. Amazing shots KK, thanks for sharing.

  14. Wow two beautiful days of riding! Those are some beautiful shots and I am sure they aren't even half as beautiful as the real thing!

  15. Oh wow Kacy, what an amazing story! You told it so well, and the pictures are wonderful. I miss green spring and I especially miss DAFFODILS - my parents have 100s in their yard.

  16. "Wow" seems be the echoing word here, and I can't help but to use it to to describe my feelings after reading the excitement and looking at those AWESOME pictures!


  17. omgosh, what a story! i'm so glad it ended well, i wasn't sure.

    you live in the best place on earth.


  18. Kacy!!!! What a story! I would have been up all night praying too! Oh, I am so glad it all turned out for the best. I wish I lived out there with you! I probably couldn't handle all the wild stuff you endure. I am safe here in the east with too many cars, but less worry about the fates of my wild animal friends! Thanks for sharing your incredible adventure with words and pictures.

  19. That sounds like a great ride, and an incredible elk story. Thanks for sharing!

  20. Oh! (gasp) You gave me goosebumps! I was sure the end of your story was not going to be good for the Elk.I'm so relieved and happy they made it...especially the little white one.

    Your photos were gorgeous!


  21. What a wonderful ride. The scenery was so beautiful and that would have been enough but to have the privilege of seeing the elk too. Amazing!!!

  22. Wow~ your neck of the woods looks BEAUTIFUL! And you are a photographer, too?! Watching those elk must have been amazing. It looks like you have so much fun! I think I had told Gail (at the farm) how I wanted a pony when I was little... I got a donkey instead!(long story) ha ha! I liked the story about you riding your dog when you were little!
    Thanks for visiting my blog & come see me if you ever pass thru town~ we are practically neighbors, living in the same state & all!

  23. It's been a long, long time since I've seen elk. I am very, very happy they all made it out of the bay, safe and sound. Now, had those crazy lookey-lou's not been hanging around, blocking the way, perhaps the elk could have gotten out of the bay a lot sooner!

    I hope there was no lingering harm to any of them!

  24. wow, amazing story! and what luck for you to see it on your ride!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

  25. What a wonderful story.
    They sure must have been tired after such a stressful day.
    Wild Animals must live stressed out lives always having to watch out for danger and in search of food.


*Thank you for visiting, I Love to read your friendly nickers below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...